Tuesday, March 13, 2012

a vintage quilt & japanese + and x pillow



This week-end I went to a few antique shops in the area with my hubby as a little birthday treat!!  It was my birthday on Sunday, so we celebrated it a little early with some shopping on Saturday!!  I found such a lovely hand pieced and tied vintage quilt that I couldn't leave sitting there on the shelf.  I don't know why, I seem to get a little emotional thinking of the love and work that goes into these vintage items, that end up being forgotten.  I guess it is just a part of life, but it makes me feel a little better that it can be loved again.  :)


I've always loved diamonds and it is so pretty as a star!! The white background sure makes them pop!!  All the fabrics are simply delightful too.


I also got all nine blocks sewn together this week-end for my Japanese x and + pillow for the Pillow Talk Swap!  I then sewed it all together, and it turned out to be 22 inches!!  Yikes!! 


For some reason I was thinking it was going to be 20 inches which is already a really large pillow, but 22 inches was just too big!!  I spent some time seam ripping all the blocks apart and then sewed 4 back together and added a simple border.  I was worried it wouldn't be scrappy enough, but I really like how it turned out.


I love how bright, cheery and retro it looks!!  It was really fun to sew something I normally wouldn't.  That is one of the best things about swaps.


Doesn't it look lovely with the vintage quilt!!


I pieced one of the extra blocks to the back since I have some extra.  :)


It is now flying it's way to ????  I sure hope my partner loves it.  It was such a pleasure to make!!

Hope you have a lovely week!!

11 comments:

  1. Kerri,
    I always say you are making someone's Grandma in Heaven when you find a quilt like this & give it a new home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the vintage quilt! I also love the diamonds, they are so beautiful!. Love the pillow, and it does look lovely with the quilt! Thanks for sharing and Happy Belated Birthday! :) xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love finding vintage (read cherished, but set aside) quilts on thrifting and antiquing trips! This one is in incredible shape and such a classic pattern.

    Your pillow looks lovely and right at home next to its "relative".

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pillow and the quilt are beautiful! ;p

    ReplyDelete
  5. the quilt is so pretty! what a lucky find! and the pillow turned out cute too! i'm sure your partner will love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a great find - that antique quilt. it's beautiful and looks like it's in great condition! love the pillow too. gorgeous!

    amber

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a pretty pairing, I love the mix of modern and vintage and these two capture it perfectly

    ReplyDelete
  8. the vintage quilt is very pretty and so does the pillow. Your swap partner is very lucky. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your cushion is GORGEOUS! Someone is going to be very happy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the vintage quilt and your amazing pillow! I recently found a beautiful quilt top, all hand pieced at a local thrift shop for $25 plus 30% off! It had to have been so much work, I'm so glad I was able to bring it home!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel the same way about vintage quilts. I always wonder about them, who made them and what brought them on a journey to the new owner. The pillow is lovely, really great.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and visiting my blog!! Your sweet comments are always cherished, and truly make my days brighter! I ♥ reading each and every one!! Hugs!