Tuesday, June 21, 2011

mini pinwheels...and tutorial!

Yesterday I worked on some mini pinwheel blocks, and really enjoyed the simple yet fun process. I love the way each one turned out being unique and so adorable!!

Using the cute pinwheels I bordered sweet little Polly Pinwheels, and am now working on a frame so I can have her all ready for my daughters birthday. I'll show you when she is all finished and framed. :)


To make the pinwheels, I used a simple method, that is so quick and easy!! Here is a quick little tutorial on how I made them~

Cut 2, two and a half inch squares.
(it would be really quick and easy to use charm squares or a layer cake if you want a larger pinwheel for a quilt.)
the pinwheel will end up the size that you cut your squares so you can cut any size you want!! :)


place right sides together and pin.


sew a 1/4 inch scant around the entire block.


cut with your rotary cutter and ruler diagonally from corner to corner, to create four triangles.


press seams open and then trim each corner


arrange your blocks to make a pinwheel and then sew all four blocks together.


sew the rest of your blocks using the method above. each block ended up 2 1/2 inch square! i told you, isn't that super easy!?! :)


the finished polly pinwheel block!!


Yesterday I also received Annie's Farm Stand!! I used a few of them for the pinwheels, and am already in LOVE with this lovely collection!! I even have a few more still coming so keep a look out!!


Better get back to more party planning as I only have till Saturday!!

29 comments:

  1. ooh, thanks for the tute... I think I'll try it that way next time I make some pinwheels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute! I love the shot of the back. I saw that new stack of fabric in your shop this morning. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally cute!!! I love your mini quilt, your daughter will be so surprised!
    I love making mini quilts, I think I might give this one a go!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Chris :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How perfect! And I love that new fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds a great way to make pinwheels!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your pinwheels. I actually just learned that trick yesterday. Also I just purchased Annie's Farm Stand and absolutely love the fabric. It is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. aww it looks really pretty ;-) Thank you for showing how to make them i may have a go at this one later in the year, dee x

    ReplyDelete
  8. gorgeous quilt top and great idea on how to make pinwheels!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tutorial, that makes it so easy!, thanks! I saw the new fabric in your shop this morning and it's so cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love the little pinwheels! and what a great tutorial for a new way to make them...i'll definitely try this. the annie's farm stand looks soooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great tutorial!!! Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for tutorial! Your little quilt is so sweet; love the way the pinwheels border the little girl.

    Oh, and I really like the colors in the fabric collection!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a darling little quilt. Love the tutorial. I will have to making some pinwheels!!! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous little quilt, great tutorial will be making lots of pinwheels from now on :)
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the tutorial, you've made it look so simple I think I will have a go!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Kerri,

    I’m one of the Editors at AllFreeSewing.com and I just wanted to let you know I have linked to your project on our site.
    Here's the link:
    Adorable Pinwheel Quilt

    If you have any questions or would like to see more of your projects on our site, please feel free to contact me.
    Thanks!

    Hannah
    Editor
    AllFreeSewing.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Adorable pinwheel mini! I shared one of mine recently. A favorite pattern of mine is the pinwheel! So cheery!

    ReplyDelete
  18. THANK YOU! I have never seen half-square triangles made this way before, and I can't wait to try it out! It looks so simple, and I am hoping they don't need squared up!

    Mrs.Hearts
    www.busyhandsquilts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG love this method, thanks for the tip:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. As a beginner quilter, I find your tutorials very easy to follow. I look forward to seeing more of your delightful work.

    ReplyDelete
  21. attempting to make my first quilt!!!!! so far there has been no injuries..lol I did like this tutorial..you made it very easy to follow ..but m I do need some instruction on how to do the backing and edges,,,will you be doing this anytim soo?

    thank you

    ReplyDelete
  22. Do you have a pattern for the girl with the pinwheels that centers the quilt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Polly Pinwheels is a design my friend Ariel did. I use to have her in my shop but need to re-order soon. :)

      Delete
  23. Thanks so much! I am very new to quilting and see this as a block I can make to start out. Thanks for sharing, well explained.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fabuloso tutorial. Muchas gracias.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you so much for writing this up! I have even done it this way before, but can't remember it when I need it. Now, it's "Pinned".

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and visiting my blog!! Your sweet comments are always cherished, and truly make my days brighter! I ♥ reading each and every one!! Hugs!