Thursday, February 14, 2013

easy patchwork heart pillow & tutorial



This week I did a patchwork heart pillow for a sweet friend of mine who's birthday is today on Valentines Day.  I thought it would be fun to do a Valentines/birthday pillow.   The pillow is inspired by this heart quilt.  In case you'd like to make one in the future I have some instructions and measurements for you, as it really is simple. 

Here is what you need~

31, 2 1/2 X 2 1/2 inch red, aqua, and pink squares
2, 18 1/2 X 2 1/2 inch white strips
2, 8 1/2 X 2 1/2 inch white strips
3, 6 1/2 X 2 1/2 inch white strips
4, 4 1/2 X 2 1/2 inch white strips
7, 2 1/2 X 2 1/2 inch white squares
Coordinating backing fabric
Coordinating binding fabric
Quilting Ruler
Rotary Cutter


Cut your pieces and lay them out as follows~

1st row, 18 1/2 inch strip
2nd row, 4 1/2 white, 2 1/2 aqua, 6 1/2 white, 2 1/2 red, 4 1/2 white
3rd row, 2 1/2 white, 2 1/2 red, pink, aqua, 2 1/2 white, 2 1/2 pink, aqua, red, 2 1/2 white
4th row, 2 1/2 white, 2 1/2 aqua, red, pink, red, aqua, pink, aqua, 2 1/2 white
5th row, 2 1/2 white, 2 1/2 pink, aqua, red, pink, red, aqua, pink, 2 1/2 white
6th row, 4 1/2 white, 2 1/2 pink, aqua, red, pink, red, 4 1/2 white
7th row, 6 1/2 white, 2 1/2 pink, aqua, red, 6 1/2 white
8th row, 8 1/2 white, 2 1/2 pink, 8 1/2 white
9th row, 18 1/2 white

 Stitch squares and strips together into rows

 Stitch your rows together

 Sandwich and quilt your top

 Add backing and then binding

 All done!!  Isn't that super easy!  I think it is so much fun to have a project you can get done quickly especially after working on a bigger quilt.  :)


I hope you are having a wonderful Valentines Day!!  My hubby and I are going to have a lovely evening eating out, and I'll be stopping by my friends to hand deliver her pillow.  She's stuck at home with a couple sick kiddos so maybe this will cheer her up.  :)


 Hugs,



13 comments:

  1. Thank you for this tutorial! I realy appreciate all the block sizes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great tutorial. I love all your work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So adorable and sweet! Happy Heart Day! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! Your friend is very lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just gorgeous!!! I am sure your friend will love it! Who wouldn't ?! Thank you for the tutorial as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a sweet and very cute pillow!! Hope you had a lovely Valentine's day! xo Holly

    ReplyDelete
  7. how I wish I was as clever as you - thank you for the tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! Well I know that pillow surely would have cheered me up if I was stuck at home with sick kids! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this idea, it works so well! Hope you had a Happy Valentine's Day!
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  10. The addition of blue to the red really makes the design pop. And I love the open space. It really turned out cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fabulous piece of handicraft.....absolutely marvellous, I can never get this done in my life. Thumbs up!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and visiting my blog!! Your sweet comments are always cherished, and truly make my days brighter! I ♥ reading each and every one!! Hugs!